Can we conduct more than 8 coaching sessions?
- The PDP should not supersede club activity hence maximum eight coaching sessions. Please note, these sessions do not need to run concurrently to ensure tie in with County games programme
- As well as the 8 coaching sessions, Counties can enter a regional/provincial Festival Day as well as opportunity to be involved in three other playing opportunities (a maximum of 12 contact days)
What is a ‘Playing Opportunity’ defined as?
- A playing opportunity is defined as a non-competitive event involving 1 host County inviting no more than 3 additional Counties
What if we are unable to plan our coaching sessions to tie in with the Regional / Provincial Festival Days arranged?
- Each County is permitted to participate in an additional three playing opportunities per age group. This will provide flexibility for games opportunities if unable to participate in the Regional/Provincial Festival Days
How will we cater for bigger numbers? What if we don’t have enough numbers?
- Prior Planning is key. Where numbers are large, the programme should be regionalised within your County
- The County programme should aim to include players from every club in the County, and every club should provide a coach for the County PDP project in turn
- The PDP has the added dimension of Coach Education and it is important to utilise this opportunity to develop coaches within the process
- If numbers are very small, liaise with the Development Team to decide whether appropriate to enter the Festival Day. This should not impact on coaching sessions
What if we have very big numbers? Do we bring everyone to each Festival Day?
- The development team in your Province will monitor the numbers attending your sessions and will plan the regional or Provincial days accordingly to ensure everyone gets opportunity to be involved
- There should be no selection or de-selection of players unless players commitment to the programme is not what it should be i.e. players only attends 20% of total sessions
- The three playing opportunities will also allow Counties to be flexible in ensuring every player gets meaningful playing time
With the big numbers, will this mean reduced playing time at the Festival days?
- No we aim to provide at least 80 minutes football for each team involved. Providing players with as much playing time will be a priority when planning the festival days
Can we conduct any other U13/15/17 activity outside PDP Project?
- No, the only County activity permitted and sanctioned is the PDP for these age groups
- Development activities organised for age groups lower than U13 i.e. U11/U12 are no longer permitted and this time should be devoted to more club blitzes etc. to provide more football for all players
What sanctions are in place if a County breach the PDP Project guidelines? What is a breach?
- A sanction of €500 per breach will apply to each County e.g. a County conducts more than 8 coaching sessions at this age group for the PDP Project
If a County wants to organise additional playing opportunities, how do we go about this?
- A County may host a maximum of three Counties for a PDP Festival Day
- Email William Harmon – firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of the planned festival day to get permission
Are Provinces permitted to organise development leagues for U13, 15 and U17?
- No, the only game opportunities are what are outlined via the PDP.
- Provinces may organise more than one Provincial/Regional Festival Day but this would be deemed as a playing opportunity for the counties that participate i.e. if County attends two regional festivals days organised by the Province then this means County can only host or attend a further two playing opportunities. Important how this is planned as Counties must keep within the max. 8 coaching sessions per calendar year.
What if we want to commence preparation early for our U14/16/U18 County Teams?
- The PDP project does not impinge on County Team Preparation
- If Counties want to hold trials, select players, organise subsequent training activities and challenge games etc. for these county age grades (Under 14,16,18) then this is permitted once the promotion of same is separate to PDP Project and named at those age grades.
- The titles ‘Academy’ or ‘Development Squad’ are no longer permitted so important the above activity reflects the purpose of same i.e. when requesting permission for challenge games, it must be requested as U14/U16/U18 Inter County Preparation
- No alternative U13/15/U17 County activity is permitted outside PDP
What if a County does not want to participate in the PDP Project?
- It is a Counties decision whether or not they organise a County PDP. Counties may run a PDP for selected age groups i.e. U13 only
- If Counties organise County Team Preparation and no Player Development Programme, then the title of the above must still be in keeping with the purpose of the exercise i.e. U14/U16/U18 County Team Preparation
- The title of the activity is important to ensure that all stakeholders (players, coaches, clubs etc) have full understanding of the objective of the activity